Friday, December 21, 2007

Christmas 2006 Guatemala Expedition


My daughter Traci, her boyfriend Jay, and I decided to check out Guatemala for Christmas/ New Years 2006. We loved it! Highly recommended! The Mayan culture is really a treat.









Here I am having breakfast at a street vendor stall in the biggest market in Guatemala (Chichicastenango). Yummy!











A cemetery in "Chichi"!













Waiting for the bus!













A rooftop coffee shop with a great view of one of the many volcano's in Guatemala.

















I had fun speaking Spanish to these kids in a cafe (They were more fluent than me) and they wanted to give me a hug when we finished talking. Fun!










We think it was safe but we wondered a little bit about it when we took a bus to a Volcano and the driver was this guy. Yes, that's a 12 gauge!











Hiking to the volcano!













Oh yeah! It was blasting off big time. We hiked a couple of miles to get to this spot. Walking out on the lava flows was cool (hot actually) and we lit sticks on fire in the cracks with red hot lava in them.









We were very excited to fly to Tikal to visit the ruins. They were even better than I expected. Highly recommended!











Traci and I at the ruins!













Traci and Jay!













While site-seeing one of the (many) cathedrals around Antigua, we found some very fresh goat milk for a snack. It was very good. Highly recommended!











The entire town of Antigua seemed to blasting off lots of firecrackers (some sounded heavy duty - note the size of the ones I'm holding) at regular intervals for some days around New Years. We had to join in the fun and loved setting them off in front of the police station.














Here I am at the wonderful Spanish immersion school. There's one teacher per student and it's fun. We were in an open air cubicle in a beautiful garden.
















I was thinking about getting a Harley Davidson tattoo after I heard about the shop from some college kids that were visiting from the states. I heard the price was right. Clean???
















On a night out I thought it would be fun to "sit in" with the band. I played drums in a Blues band in Colorado Spring so I figured I had the credentials for it?










I just had to have that tattoo.










MegaMel

No comments: